Search This Blog

Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Definition of Awkward

Awkward, from Wiki:
  1. Not easily managed or effected; embarrassing
    That was an extremely awkward moment. Everyone was watching.
  2. Lacking social skills, or uncomfortable with social interaction
    I'm very awkward at parties.
And so, as the story goes, I have lived a very awkward life.

Shall we start with the first definition? There was this day, back in 8th grade, that severely shaped my life. The try outs for our school play. I was so nervous, I have always had stage fright, so imagine... the sweaty palms, butterflies doing jumping jacks in my stomach, hot flashes.... the works. I had spoken with our music teacher prior to try outs and he had assured me that there weren't solos in the try outs, just group auditions.
Flash to me, on stage, with a group of kids. The ten of us all sang the song and then he turned to us... and in slow motion I could hear him tell us, "now..... you'll..... sing..... alone....". I was so nauseated that when it came time to my turn I sounded no better than a frog croaking. Pun intended. All the kids in the audience laughed, I nearly cried, and I have never tried out for anything again. Ever. Seriously.
"That was an extremely awkward moment. Everyone was watching."

I just joined a new mom's group. It is a natural families group and further cements how off balance I am. I want to live this natural self sustaining life. I want to fully parent with kindness, empathy and gentleness in mind. I want to feed my family organic and vegetarian food. I want, I want, I want. Right. So... I have made lots of small changes in our life and a few large ones... from eliminating most of the bad sugar my son eats (while we are at home... I can't get those grandparents under control, though), to eliminating meat from my diet (today is day one... we will see how this goes), to having my daughter at home and all my prenatal and gyn care with a midwife. I cloth diapered my first, prepared to cloth diaper teh second but never did it. We have a large amount of wooden toys but an even larger amount of platic noisy toys. I crave a vegetable garden but just can't do it since we are still in an apartment at this phase of our life. I drive a big SUV. I selectively and delay vaccines, I avoid antibiotics if it can be so. I have eliminated, and reintroduced, sugar to my diet. I have given up, and picked up again, caffeine. I baby-wear but I also have a really awesome jogging stroller that I couldn't survive without. Seriously. I am vehemently against kiddie leashes. Enough pretense, you just want to hear the good stuff, right?! So I joined this group... well, actually, I applied for this group and they didn't approve my application for over a month. One day I was at the park and my kids started playing with a couple kids who were at the park. Their moms invited me to join their play group and when I went to sign up on the site it turned out to be the same group that I was still pending for. Now I am a member and have been to one meet-up so far. Angel Boy kept running away and just being his crazy normal self. At one point I said, "and this is why they invented kiddie leashes". *Insert foot in mouth* Not only is that against everything I believe in, but these new women hold those same beliefs. They chuckled... then the crickets *cricket*cricket*, then they changed the subject.
"I'm very awkward at parties play dates."


No comments:

Post a Comment